A lot of premature aging happens in the Winter and “Winter Skin” is an issue for just about all of us (unless you live in a year-round oasis like San Diego or Hawaii). In the winter months the humidity level outside drops and the water in your skin evaporates faster, making your skin look dry, tight, flaky – and older. Did you know your skin loses more than 25 percent of its ability to hold moisture in the winter?
Keep reading to discover simple solutions for Five Common Causes of Winter Skin… and the completely preventable premature aging that comes with it.
1. Indoor Heating: Many of us spend more time inside in the winter and use indoor heating nearly 24/7. Dry indoor air not only dries out your skin, it makes you itchy and flaky — and worst of all it makes you look older! If you ignore your skin for too many Winters there will be little you can do to turn back the clock.
A Solution: Set your heater to the lowest setting that’s comfortable, and use a humidifier, especially at night. Get 20% Off our Cool-Mist, Ultrasonic Diffuser/ Humidifier.
2. Frequent Hand Washing and Sanitizing: Dry, chapped hands are often caused by frequent hand washing, as well as the use of hand sanitizers. During cold and flu season, it’s important to keep your hands clean to avoid spreading germs but overuse of soaps, water, and alcohol will strip your skin of its natural oils, leading to chapped hands, splits, and cracks that can bleed or even get infected.
A Solution: Massage you hands with a deep penetrating moisturizer at least twice a day. Avoid water-based lotions and petroleum jelly based products. Get 20% Off our 9-1-1 Skin Repair Balm – containing deep penetrating Shea Butter infused with wound healing botanicals and full-spectrum Vitamin E.
3. Licking your lips: Frequent lip licking feels good temporarily but it does much more harm than good. Eventually it dries out your lips as the saliva evaporates. Using long-wearing lipsticks can also leave your lips dry, chapped, and cracked.
A Solution: Lip balm is the obvious answer but don’t just grab whatever is on sale at the drugstore. Many lip balms contain mineral oil, petroleum jelly, and other yucky substances that actually dry you out. We recommend a lip balm made of natural plant oils and butters. A balm enhanced with raw honey is ideal since honey provides powerful skin healing properties. Get 15% Off our Organic Lip Balms made of Virgin Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, and Local Honey.
4. Harsh bar soaps and body washes: Many bar soaps, especially deodorant soaps, contain detergents that remove your skin’s natural oils, leaving it dry and more sensitive. This is equally true for many of the most popular body washes.
A Solution: A properly made bar of natural soap is actually a good source of moisturizers and humectants. A good soap can make a serious improvement to your skin in the Winter. If the soap is made correctly, it will leave a trace of oil and glycerin on your skin after you rinse the suds away. Get 15% Off our Body Soaps and Get 20% Off our Body Washes.
5. Not using a Body Moisturizer after showering/ bathing: It’s tempting to skip the body lotion when your skin is covered up in winter clothing, but it’s just as important to moisturize in the winter as it is in the summer, even if your arms and legs aren’t on display. When Spring comes and you put on some shorts or a sleeveless top, you’ll be glad you made the extra effort.
A Solution: If you go the body lotion route be sure to choose one that is not water-based – as the water dries your skin. A good lotion should deliver an enduring moisturizing effect along with some healing and nutrition to feed your skin. Get 15% Off our Probiotic Lotions made with Aloe Juice and Avocado Oil.
Of course, there is faster, more convenient approach: Spray-On Moisturizers that dry quickly and don’t clog pores. Get 20% Off our After Shower Skin Nutrition Mists.
Have your own Winter Skin Solution tips? We’d love to hear them! Hit us up on Facebook, send us an e-mail, or go old school and dial us up at 812-682-0515.